Chuck Taylor All-Stars
For a simple canvas shoe, the Chuck Taylor All Star is a huge piece of American iconography.
First produced in 1917, the shoes took salesman Chuck Taylor's name in 1923. The humble Chucks were born as a basketball sneaker and were a favorite of NBA legend "Dr. J" Julius Erving, but had a personality far beyond what straight-laced jock society could handle.
As soon as Joey Ramone started wearing them to shows in the late '70s, they broke out of the gym and popped up at punk shows, vert ramps, streetlamp freestyle battles and Seattle coffee shops. Chuck Taylors weren't all-American because they were emblazoned with flags or worn by only fine, establishment-friendly Americans, but because they were accessible to all Americans.But "Kurt Cobain wore them" wasn't quite the marketing draw Converse honchos imagined. In 2003, Converse sold out to Nike (NKE) for a cool $305 million. Nike moved production of Chucks and other Converse sneakers to Asia shortly thereafter. -- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV