Whether it's the classic beach cruiser or the traditional 10-speed, that Schwinn you're seeing at Wal-Mart (WMT) or Target (TGT) hasn't been a consistent American classic for more than 20 years.
After feeling the pinch from competitors such as Trek and Specialized and losing the ability to make bikes at a competitive cost, Schwinn originally sent all its manufacturing overseas in 1991. It went bankrupt a year later, but resurfaced in 1993 as a boutique outfit making lightweight bikes.
Schwinn's last bankruptcy in 2001 sealed its fate in the U.S. Schwinn was sold to Pacific Cycle. Pacific, in turn, was bought by Dorel Industries, a Canadian company that also makes furniture and baby products. The Schwinn bikes consumers see today are built in Taiwan and China and have little in common with the company's history -- besides a nameplate.In today's bicycle industry, though, being foreign-made is about the most American thing a large bicycle manufacturer can do. The National Bicycle Dealers Association says 99.5% of bikes sold in the United States are mass-market imports from Asian countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV