WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- Professional traders who run mutual funds and hedge funds don't just look at a stock's price moves; they also track big changes in volume activity. Many times when above-average volume moves into equity, it precedes a large spike in volatility.
Let's take a look at a number of stocks rising on unusual volume today. They are all recording volume in midday trading that is already at least 50% above their average trading volume for a full day.
Average Volume: 222,400
Volume % Change: 1203% Shares of PETS are ripping today after the company reported better-than-expected quarterly profits due to strong online sales for animal medicine. From a technical standpoint, PETS has started to break out today above some past overhead resistance at $12.18 on monster volume. Market players should now watch for PETS to close near its daily highs and above $12.18, to $13 a share, to signal it wants to trend much higher. If we get that action, traders should look for long-biased trades back toward the next significant overhead resistance levels at $14 to $16. Keep in mind that the relative strength index is now 86, an extremely overbought reading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV