Please enjoy this free sample of our premium content featuring Jim Cramer. To get all of Cramer's premium content free for a limited time, please register here.
NEW YORK ( RealMoney) -- Turnarounds in technology are very difficult, yet people keep betting on one. Let's talk about two of them to assess their prospects: Yahoo! (YHOO) and Research in Motion (RIMM).
First, these have captured the attention of everyone -- homegamers, institutions, everyone. I don't blame them. People use both. Yahoo! had been the de facto Web for many people before Google (GOOG) and Facebook. The BlackBerry had been the de facto cell phone for corporations.
|Cramer: It is truly almost Herculean to engineer a turnaround in tech: Research in Motion and Yahoo! are likely to fail.|
Both have monster legacy businesses. Both have come down so much that people can't believe someone won't take them over.But a couple of weeks ago Yahoo! appointed Scott Thompson, late of Paypal, as CEO. That should have quelled takeover activity -- and it's beginning to. This morning Research In Motion
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV