Research In Motion's Co-CEOs Step Down
WATERLOO,Ontario ( TheStreet) -- Research In Motion (RIMM) said its co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis have stepped down and been replaced by Thorsten Heins, the BlackBerry maker's chief operating officer.
"There comes a time in the growth of every successful company when the founders recognize the need to pass the baton to new leadership. Jim and I went to the board and told them that we thought that time was now," said Lazaridis, in a statement.
Lazaridis has been named vice chairman of RIM's board and chair of the board's new innovation committee. Balsillie remains a board director.Both Lazaridis and Balsillie remain two of the company's largest shareholders. Heins, who joined RIM four years ago from Siemens, takes over for a company which has seen sales plunge and its stock tumble almost 90% from its peak in 2008. The stock closed Friday at $17, down 3.2%. Shares are rising to $17.99 in premarket trading Monday. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV