Gingrich Leads Romney 40% to 26%: Poll
COLUMBIA, S.C. ( TheStreet) -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich has opened a commanding lead over rival Mitt Romney in South Carolina, according to a poll released Saturday.
According to the latest poll from the American Research Group, the former House speaker is leading Romney, 40% to 26%.
Rep. Ron Paul of Texas was third, with 18%, while former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum was fourth, with 13%, according to the poll.The telephone poll of 600 likely Republican primary voters living in South Carolina was conducted Thursday and Friday. It has a margin of error of 4 percentage points. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Gingrich has gained 7 percentage points and Romney has lost 6 percentage points since a similar poll conducted Tuesday and Wednesday, the American Research Group said. The outcome of the South Carolina primary is being watched closely, because the contest's winner has gone on to win the Republican presidential nomination in every election since 1980, The Associated Press noted.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV