NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In general, stocks paying healthy dividends outperformed in 2011, so it stands to reason that it's too late to join the party now, right?
Not so, according to Oppenheimer & Co., which says that skepticism about the continued pursuit of dividend strategies is misplaced.
"Conventional wisdom would suggest that the focus on dividends has become a crowded trade given all the attention this strategy has garnered lately," wrote Brian Belski, the firm's chief investment strategist, in market commentary released earlier this month. "As it turns out, the data suggest the opposite. Income-oriented U.S. equity funds have exhibited net outflows for much of the past year and these funds have represented an increasingly smaller portion of total U.S. equity funds based on net assets over the past few years."
Belski also said the idea that dividend payers are most relevant in weak or volatile markets doesn't hold up to scrutiny."According to our work, this is simply not the case," Belski said. "In fact, dividend strategies have consistently outperformed the overall market and have typically maintained the outperformance in 'strong' market environments." FactSet Research recently offered up some data for the past 10 years that backs up this point. "Stocks with a dividend yield in the first and second quintiles of the S&P 500 dividend paying-universe outperformed the S&P 500 by 322% and 96%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV