Besides the Internet sector, software is also expected to be a high point this year, with companies like data security services company Imperva (IMPV), service revenue management firm ServiceSource (SREV) and telecom expense management provider Tangoe (TNGO) ranking as the top performing tech IPOs of 2011, according to Dealogic.
There's 35 tech companies in the IPO pipline, including high-profile names like Yelp, Kayak and Brightcove, as well as several in the so-called shadow back-log, meaning the company hasn't yet filed its S-1 but is expected to do so soon.
Other tech companies expected to go public this year include Twitter, Gilt Groupe and daily coupon firm Living Social.
As more marquee Internet firms go public, it remains unclear what 2012 will bring for markets like SecondMarket and SharesPost, which specialize in trading shares of private companies. In the last year there's been significant investor demand for companies like Facebook, Foursquare and Box.net which have chosen to remain private and take additional venture capital rather than access the public markets."Secondary markets may augment [public markets] but they're not going to replace the public markets," said Tom Fox, head of global capital markets at UBS at a recent IPO briefing with reporters. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV