WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- The Nasdaq and S&P 500 were under some selling pressure Friday after a pair of heavyweight corporate earnings failed to meet Wall Street expectations, despite a trio of strong results from some blue-chip names that kept the Dow index trading to the upside.
IBM (IBM) and Intel (INTC) helped to give the Dow strength a day after IBM issued a bullish earnings outlook, and Intel said it would boost capital spending in 2012. However, weakness at General Electric (GE) and Google (GOOG) put pressure on the on the broader indices.
At last check, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was trading up 55 points and the S&P 500 was off by 4.3 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was sliding lower by 9.8 points.
The top traders in the world know that markets are made up of thousands of stocks in different sectors. With so many moving parts, there's always some sector or stock that's acting strong and setting up to breaking out. Once a technical breakout is triggered, it can lead to big buying that will push any stock significantly higher.
- Related: 8 Stocks Rising on Unusual Volume
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV