WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- The Nasdaq and S&P 500 were under some selling pressure Friday after a pair of heavyweight corporate earnings failed to meet Wall Street expectations, despite a trio of strong results from some blue-chip names that kept the Dow index trading to the upside.
IBM (IBM) and Intel (INTC) helped to give the Dow strength a day after IBM issued a bullish earnings outlook, and Intel said it would boost capital spending in 2012. However, weakness at General Electric (GE) and Google (GOOG) put pressure on the on the broader indices.
At last check, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was trading up 55 points and the S&P 500 was off by 4.3 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was sliding lower by 9.8 points.
The top traders in the world know that markets are made up of thousands of stocks in different sectors. With so many moving parts, there's always some sector or stock that's acting strong and setting up to breaking out. Once a technical breakout is triggered, it can lead to big buying that will push any stock significantly higher.
- Related: 8 Stocks Rising on Unusual Volume
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV