BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Dividend hikes are continuing to trickle in at a faster pace this month, as earnings season heats up.
Not surprisingly, earnings and dividends go hand-in-hand -- not only do both tend to get announced at the same time during earnings season, corporate earnings also ideally provide the cash to pay out a firm's dividend distributions. For those reasons, it's no surprise that income investors are keeping a close eye on their portfolio holdings right now.
They have good reason to hope for significant dividend income growth in 2012. Last year, corporate dividend payouts grew by more than 16% -- an extra $50.2 billion in cash. With corporate cash holdings and profitability both at all-time highs, the environment is primed to provide even more dividend payouts. And while some investors think that dividend returns come at the cost of capital gains, the data show that it's quite the opposite.
Over the last 36 years, dividend stocks have outperformed the rest of the S&P 500 by 2.5% annually, and they outperformed nonpayers by nearly 8% every year, all while paying out cash to their shareholders, according to data compiled by Ned Davis Research. The numbers are even more compelling when looking at companies that consistently increase their payouts.That's why we pay close attention to the firms that are shoveling more corporate cash to shareholders each week. With that, here's a look at six of the stocks that hiked payouts in the last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV