2.) Fourth-quarter software sales will be weak
Software sales face three major threats in 2012: a slowdown in Europe, negative impact from the U.S. government and a downturn in spending from financial services firms.
According to JP Morgan, Europe, the U.S. government and the financial sector account for almost half of the world's IT spending.
The firm notes that Oracle (ORCL), Red Hat (RHT) and Salesforce.com (CRM) have reported disappointing quarters. Compuware (CPWR)and Software (SOW) have given negative preannouncements. The exception is SAP (SAP), which had a surprisingly strong pre announcement.Indeed Microsoft's (MSFT) corporate earnings, out after Thursday's market close, showed rather lackluster sales. The firm's second quarter profit was flat compared to one year earlier although it beat estimates by 2 cents. The CFO said that the firm is still battling a challenging PC environment with European consumers battered by the region's economic downturn. Microsoft's PC shipments fell 2% to 4%. However, shares were rising 2.2% in premarket trading after the company's earnings of 78 cents a share beat the forecast of 76 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV