By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
More than 5,000 March 23 calls were purchased against open interest of just 1,008 contracts Thursday. Most of them went for 85 cents in a single large block, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems.
These long calls lock in the price investors must pay for the digital-theater company's stock, and they have the potential to deliver major leverage if IMAX rips higher. If it doesn't, however, they will expire worthless.IMAX started climbing shortly after the options traded, ending the day up 4.75% to $21.84. The stock rallied more than tenfold between late 2008 and mid-2011 before losing almost two-thirds of its value. But it has been working its way higher since early in the fourth quarter. The company's last earnings report on Oct. 27 missed estimates, but investors focused on its aggressive growth plans. IMAX has remade itself by focusing on imaging technology rather than cumbersome equipment and has been rapidly expanding its footprint of cinemas in the United States and abroad. Overall option volume was 14 times greater than average in the name Thursday, with calls outnumbering puts by 23 to 1. Russell has no positions in IMAX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV