NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - As investors look to 2012, it's important to continue to consider M&A as a catalyst for stocks.
"We still see ample opportunity for deals in the coming year as buyers look to scoop up businesses with more promising growth prospects amid an uncertain economic environment," writes Morningstar analyst Bridget Freas in a January report. Freas argues that while lackluster growth and sovereign debt concerns continue to be a deals headwind, companies may look for small-to-midsized deals to drive growth. "
Six companies that Morningstar outlined in its report as potential M&A candidates in 2011 were eventually completed, including Constellation Energy (CEG) and Petrohawk Energy, which were included on its "top M&A investment ideas list." Often the deals paid off for existing shareholders. While Constellation was bought for a 22% premium to share prices, Petrohawk was taken out at almost double the price that it traded at when Morningstar highlighted it as a M&A candidate.Here's are Morningstar's ten new top investment ideas among potential acquisition candidates, with details on potential acquirers and reasons why they may be compelling for a growth hungry buyer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV