So maybe the Facebook hatred wasn't as deep as it appeared.
Google+ didn't quite take off as the social answer to Facebook or Twitter when it was released last year, but a ton of tweaks to Google's search algorithm and to the Google+ news feed are making it a very different product than it was at inception. Too bad a sizable target audience isn't getting that message.
While the casual social media user may see a headline here or there about how Google+ changes are angering Twitter or how Google is changing everything about how you search for anything in the world ever, it's not prying them off of Facebook or hauling them into Google+ in any large numbers.If you're Google and you know you have a superior product that can do amazing things if people just give it a chance, why wouldn't you scream out its praises on the biggest stage possible? Apple isn't above it when introducing its iNextBigThing and Google shouldn't fear it if it really wants Google+ to become a standard instead of a social media also-ran. Analyst Paul Allen notes the site just passed 62 million members, which Facebook didn't hit until four years into its lifespan. Strong Android device sales are only making the site more integrated and accessible and Allen says it's not a stretch to say Google+ could have 400 million users -- or half of Facebook's current user base -- by the end of 2012. Adweek's already named Google's Dear Sophie one of the best ads of 2011. Nobody's saying Google has to produce another Apple 1984 piece, but if they're going to change the game in a big way, a big push wouldn't hurt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV