6 Stocks Driving the Economy in 2012
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Signs of an improving U.S. economy and that the worst has passed for Europe are allowing the most economically sensitive stocks to spread their wings again.
The Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index -- made up of companies whose fortunes are deeply tied to the state of the economy -- has soared 11% this year, led by companies such as Alcoa (AA) and Sears Holdings (SHLD). Furthermore, the S&P 500 has risen 4% so far this year after closing almost unchanged in 2011. All this, as corporate prospects begin to improve in the eyes of the investor, and companies show the results of the critical reforms they implemented while waiting out a period of tepid operating conditions.
As 2012 unfolds, many of the stocks most sensitive to economic changes are already beginning to take off again, shrugging off the more negative headlines on the economy and moving forward on constructive plans for growth.Here are six economically sensitive stocks from the Morgan Stanley Cyclical Index that are showing the most gains so far in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV