The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
We consider this as a limiting factor for MGM's future growth. Although it does have a footprint in Macau, it's on a smaller scale than its peers. It operates in China through a joint venture with Pansy Ho, daughter of Stanley Ho. The joint venture generated an income of $129 million in 2010. On the other hand, competing firms like Wynn Resorts (WYNN) derive approximately 60% of their revenues from this region.
The record growth in Macau gaming revenues of approximately 42% in 2011 to $33.5 billion is expected to drive growth in prominent gaming companies like Wynn and Las Vegas Sands (LVS), which have operations in Macau. LVS currently operates several facilities in Macau, including the Venetian Macao, the Sands Macao and the Plaza Casino at the Four Seasons Hotel.MGM does have well-known brands under its name including Bellagio, MGM Grand Las Vegas, The Mirage, Mandalay Bay among others. However, we believe its dependence on one major market in the present volatile conditions is really risky for its business. MGM lacks a geographically diversified revenue stream as enjoyed by its competitors who have a strong presence in Macau. MGM has plans to develop a project in Macau in partnership with Pansy Ho. The resort and casino is expected to have about 1,600 rooms and suites, as well as the gaming area that would accommodate up to 500 tables and 2,500 slot machines. However, we believe gradually the growth in Macau gaming industry will start slowing down with an increase in competition and so a late entrant like MGM could miss the fruits of the present period of higher growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV