By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster.
The January 17.50 calls dominated option trading in the investment bank, with more than 22,000 going for 29 cents to 40 cents, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The action was definitely positive overall, though a little hard to read because the volume was below open interest in the strike.
The February 19s painted a clearer picture because more than 8,000 contracts traded against previous positioning of just 2,859. Those calls were priced mostly at 30 cents and 32 cents.Long calls lock in the price that traders must pay to buy shares, so they can provide substantial leverages if the stock rises. But timing is crucial because the options will expire worthless if they don't rally quickly enough. Morgan Stanley's stock surged 6.77% to $17.35 Wednesday and has been climbing with the financial sector this year. It was the one of the strongest in the group Wednesday, slightly behind Goldman Sachs (GS). Overall the activity was pretty extreme, with 98,000 contracts trading against the average of about 24,000. Najarian owns MS calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV