Now in terms of Perry's tax policy; the Tax Policy Center said his tax cut plan will cut about 27% in revenue in 2015. Can we actually afford that?
Forbes: Well, those revenues assume there is no growth no increase in wealth when you change taxes. Back in the mid 1980's when we had a big tax debate, one of the Senators, the head of the Senate Finance Committee, as a joke asked the Congressional Budget Office to run the numbers if you had a 100% tax rate, or you know 95%, he came back and said 'my gosh, that would be a fantastic increase in revenues.' It would destroy the economy so they don't get the dynamics of changes in the tax code.
But where is that growth going to come from?
The whole thing. The purpose of tax rates it's a price and a burden so when you lower the price of goods things like risk taking, success and productive work you get more of them. John Kennedy cut income tax rates across the board 22% in the early 60's. If you did the static method, you would find 'oh my gosh the government would blow a hole in the budget.' Instead, we had an economic boom and revenues went up.It's not just Washington, it's what's good for the country. We are going to have to have reforms of entitlements, we are going to have to stop spending what we don't have but the key thing is that while you are doing that you have an economy that is growing. We did that in the 1980's to an extent and there is no reason why we can't do it again today. So then the best way for the economy to grow within Perry's tax plan, what is it? Well, you have a stable dollar, you have a simple tax code ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV