SAN JOSE, Calif. ( TheStreet) - Xilinx (XLNX) shares soared nearly 8% after the chip maker reported better than expected earnings after market close on Wednesday, further raising hopes for an improved semiconductor climate.
The company reported third-quarter earnings of 41 cents per share on $511.1 million in revenue. Wall Street analysts were looking for earnings of 37 cents per share on $500.4 million in revenue. Xilinx noted third quarter revenue was down 10% year-over-year, and 8% quarter-over-quarter.
Xilinx said it expects revenue in the upcoming quarter to be up 2% to 6% sequentially, and gross margins are expected to be between 64% and 65%.
In addition to the earnings release, the Xilinx board of directors also announced a quarterly dividend of 19 cents per share, to be payable on Feb. 29.Xilinx is soaring in after-hours trading, up 7.1% to $37.80 on 615,000 shares according to Nasdaq.com. Earnings from Xilinx come hot on the heels of strong results from another chip maker, Linear Technology (LLTC). The component specialist provided better-than-expected earnings on Tuesday, indicating that the semiconductor space may be in an uptrend. Interested in more on Xilinx? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV