Did Yang step down by his own choice or was he pushed? That's the story yet to be fully told.
The timing of the announcement will of course lead to speculation, as it comes two weeks after Yahoo named Scott Thompson, a former PayPal executive, as CEO. While Thompson pledges a return to profitability, Yang has been seen by many investors as letting his personal vision and attachment to the company stall necessary restructuring moves. As such, news of his resignation sent shares upward.In addition to departing Yahoo's board, Yang surrenders a similar post at Yahoo Japan and Alibaba Group, setting the stage that those assets may be sold. Yang's exit could open the door for a broader restructuring of the parent company and attract otherwise gun-shy investors. If Yang was "encouraged" to leave, it won't be the first time his own company has rejected him. His refusal to accept a $47.5 billion takeover bid by Microsoft (MSFT) led to a chorus of critics who derided him for putting his personal attachment to the company over what was in its best financial interests. He was replaced by the tough-talking Carol Bartz. Yang is far from the only company creator to find themselves on the outs. Here are some other famous founders forced to hit the bricks:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV