For the last three consecutive quarters, this company has seen its profits trend higher. The most recent quarter saw a 17.4% year-over-year growth in net income after seeing just a 2.3% profit growth in the second quarter and a 29.4% jump in the first quarter.
The current short interest as a percentage of the float for Intel stands at 2.3%. That means that out of the 5.09 billion shares in the tradable float, 117.48 million shares are sold short by the bears. This is far from a large short interest, but with over 110 million shares sold short, it's more than enough to lead to a decent pop in the stock if the bulls hear what they're looking for.
From a technical standpoint, INTC is currently trading above both its 50-day and 200-day moving averages, which is bullish. This stock has been uptrending strong since it bottomed in September at $18.99 a share. During that uptrend, this stock has consistently been making higher lows and some higher highs. Now INTC is setting up to trigger a big breakout post-earnings.
If you're bullish on INTC, I would wait until after they release their results and buy the stock if it breaks out above $25.92 high volume. Look for volume that's tracking in close to or above its three-month average volume of 56,196,300 shares. If we get that action, I would look for INTC to spike higher by 10% to 15%.I would get short or avoid INTC if after their report this stock fails to breakout and drops back below its 50-day moving average of $24.42 on high volume. Target a drop back towards $23.05 or the 200-day moving average of $22.31 if the bears hit this stock hard post-earnings. To see more potential earnings short-queeze plays like Insteel Industries (IIIN), Zoll Medical (ZOLL) and Interactive Brokers Group (IBKR), check out the Earnings Short Squeeze Plays portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV