Solyndra Moves Closer to Scrap Heap
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Nobody wants to buy failed solar company
Solyndra, and its fate will now rest in the hands of
"No company has given us a bid that we can work with. In the context of bankruptcy, by law a bid must be higher than the estimated liquidation value," said Eric Carlson, financial adviser at Imperial Capital, which was hired once Solyndra entered bankruptcy to find a buyer willing to revive the company as a solar manufacturer.
Carlson said Imperial Capital contacted at least 150 potential buyers, but was not able to find one bidder willing to bid above estimated liquidation value. The closer Solyndra gets to the scrap heap, the more questionable the market rationale provided by the federal government for its continued investment in the company looks.
At the height of the resulting political furor, the Department of Energy presented a very specific defense of its continued investment in a company with a deteriorating financial outlook, a defense predicated on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV