What's Wrong With U.S. Airlines?
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Recently, the
Hypothesis 1: The nature of airline travel makes customer service difficult, if not impossible.Airline travel is difficult, but good customer service is not impossible. On her first trip out of China, my 85-pound administrative assistant looked at me in terror as airline screeners told her to take off her shoes, then her jacket, then her sweater, then her belt, and then scanned her all over with a wand. Airline travel is stressful.
Yet, many airlines provide outstanding customer service.
Hypothesis 2: Customer service is not America's strong point.Each year, Businessweek ranks the world's best companies for customer service --
Hypothesis 3: Unions have crippled the airline industry.This hypothesis has legs. Think of great organizations like Nordstrom or Disneyland. When you walk through the door, you viscerally feel a service-obsessed culture. Nearly all major U.S. carriers are unionized. Unions can survive only if there is conflict between managers and non-managers -- if the culture is toxic. Increasing toxicity is the lifeblood of unions. The Association of Flight Attendants is the world's largest flight attendant union. Its trademarked rallying cry is
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV