OTHER FOURTH QUARTER 2011 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Core deposits increased by $52.9 million during the fourth quarter of 2011. Core deposits consist of all deposits other than time based deposits issued in denominations of $250,000 or greater.
- Over the last year, the firm has successfully repositioned its deposit base so that average balances for noninterest-bearing demand, interest checking and money market accounts for the fourth quarter of 2011 increased to $2.88 billion from $2.64 billion for the fourth quarter of 2010, or 9.0 percent, while average balances for higher-cost time deposits decreased from $1.17 billion to $759 million, or 35.1 percent, during the same time period.
- Net income available to common stockholders for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $5.68 million, compared to the prior year ’s fourth quarter net income available to common stockholders of $2.25 million. Third quarter 2011 net income available to common stockholders totaled $24.54 million, which included a $16.97 million income tax benefit that was composed primarily of the reversal of the valuation allowance of net deferred tax assets of approximately $22.48 million, reduced by estimated 2011 income tax expense.
Noninterest income for the quarter ended Dec. 31, 2011, was $9.7
million, compared to $10.1 million for the third quarter of 2011
and $8.7 million for the same quarter last year. Excluding the
impact of net securities gains and losses, noninterest income was
up 10.7 percent over the same quarter last year.
- Wealth management revenues, which include investment services, trust services and insurance, were $3.09 million during the fourth quarter of 2011, an increase of 16.0 percent over the same period last year due primarily to additional emphasis on internal referral programs and the addition of several new associates over the past two years.
- Net gains on mortgage loans sold increased to $1.46 million during the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to $1.30 million during the third quarter of 2011 due primarily to a significant increase in mortgage loan refinance activity.
- Pre-tax pre-provision income for the quarter ended Dec. 31, 2011, was $14.6 million, compared to $8.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2010, an increase of 77.1 percent.
- Income tax expense was $1.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to no expense in the fourth quarter of 2010, resulting in an effective tax rate for the fourth quarter of 2011 of 15.7 percent. During the third quarter of 2011, the Company recorded a $22.48 million reversal of a deferred tax valuation allowance but pursuant to generally accepted accounting principles had reduced the reversal recognized in the third quarter of 2011 by estimated tax expense for the fourth quarter of 2011. The Company’s effective tax rate during fourth quarter of 2011 was more than the Company had estimated primarily due to increased operating results versus its forecast. The Company anticipates an effective tax rate range of 31.0 percent to 34.0 percent during 2012.
“In addition to our fourth quarter 2011 net interest margin increasing to 3.65 percent, our net interest income increased by 9.0 percent over last year’s fourth quarter,” said Harold R. Carpenter, Pinnacle’s chief financial officer. “We continue to reduce our cost of funds and believe that we will experience increased margins and net interest income over the next few quarters. Although we anticipate expansion in our top line revenues in 2012, it will be a challenging year. Loan pricing will remain competitive, and the economic factors affecting the broader markets will likely result in reduced yields for our investment portfolio as prepayments continue to escalate. We will likely reduce the balance of our investment portfolio in 2012, thus providing additional cash flows to support quality lending opportunities that appear to be emerging in our two primary banking markets.”
- At Dec. 31, 2011, Pinnacle’s ratio of tangible common stockholders’ equity to tangible assets was 8.4 percent, compared to 7.1 percent at Dec. 31, 2010, and 8.2 percent at Sept. 30, 2011. At Dec. 31, 2011, Pinnacle’s total risk-based capital ratio was 15.3 percent, compared to 15.4 percent at Dec. 31, 2010, and 15.9 percent at Sept. 30, 2011.
“We are pleased that we were able to redeem 25 percent of our outstanding TARP preferred shares with existing cash balances just before the end of 2011,” Turner said. “Our strategy for redemption has been consistent for quite some time, and we intend to maintain a productive dialogue with our primary regulators to formulate a workable plan aimed at complete redemption over the next year or so with minimal dilution to our shareholders.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV