Rating Change #4
BB&T Corp (BBT) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, impressive record of earnings per share growth, attractive valuation levels and increase in stock price during the past year. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for BB&T CORP is currently very high, coming in at 76.10%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, BBT's net profit margin of 15.00% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 82.65% to $495.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 82.65%, BB&T CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 1668.91%.
- BB&T CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. We anticipate these figures will begin to experience more growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BB&T CORP reported lower earnings of $1.17 versus $1.18 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.80 versus $1.17).
- BBT, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 15.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
BB&T Corporation operates as a financial holding company for Branch Banking and Trust Company that provides banking and trust services to individuals and businesses. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.4, equal to the average banking industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. BB&T has a market cap of $17.98 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. Shares are up 4.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.You can view the full BB&T Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV