2. Devon (DVN)In the mid-cap space, the international interest in Devon speaks to its appeal as an individual investment opportunity. Along with Exxon, Devon realized the potential of onshore U.S. drilling and production activity and sought to sell off business not directly exposed to North America.
The company is also ambitiously building out exposure to liquid natural gas. Analysts project nearly 9% sales growth this year to almost $11 billion, and earnings of more than $6 per share. This would represent annual earnings growth of 6%, but a revamped firm focused on North American natural gas going forward means the potential exists for double-digit annual profit growth going forward.Rival firm Chesapeake has a similar profile to Devon and has its fortunes firmly tied to natural gas, which comprises 99% of its total production. It is also looking to sell off assets to free up capital for domestic production expansion, such as in liquid natural gas. The only downside for Chesapeake is its higher debt load, and it isn't growing as fast as Devon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV