5 Black-Owned Businesses Making a Buzz
5. Kimberly Dillon
House of Mikko
Lesson: Be flexible.
Kimberly Dillon's 2-year-old House of Mikko, a beauty tips-sharing Web site primarily for black and minority women, is a work in progress. But it already has more than 82,000 followers on Facebook.
"We really wanted to go after the African-American women audience because we really felt that no one was speaking to them. We really wanted to," she says, and that means making sure the site has a culture-specific tone and employs the right colloquialisms.
The company is expanding its audience to multi-ethnic groups of women, launching a mobile app this month that is a more toned-down version of House of Mikko and concentrates solely on hair technique and styles. "One of the key things
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV