Dow Today: Chevron (CVX) Leads The Day Higher, International Business Machines (IBM) Lags
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) closed down 49 points (-0.4%) at 12,422. During the day, 807.7 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 829.3 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio closed at 1,035 issues advancing vs. 1,957 declining with 125 unchanged. The Dow component that led the way higher today was Chevron (NYSE:CVX), which sported a $1.07 gain (+1%) bringing the stock to $106.04. Volume for Chevron ended the day at 7.3 million shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 9.2 million shares. Chevron has a market cap of $217.19 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are down 1.3% year to date as of Thursday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 3%. Chevron Corporation, through its subsidiaries, engages in petroleum, chemicals, mining, power generation, and energy operations worldwide. It operates in two segments, Upstream and Downstream. The company has a P/E ratio of eight, below the average energy industry P/E ratio of 8.1 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Chevron as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, robust revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full Chevron Ratings Report.
- You can view the full International Business Machines Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV