Another under-$10 name that's close to triggering a big breakout is Infinera (INFN), which provides digital optical networking systems to telecommunications carriers worldwide. This is another stock off to a hot start in 2012, with shares ripping higher by over 14%.
If you take a look at the chart for Infinera, you'll notice that this stock has trended lower from its September high of $8.97 to a recent low of $6.07 a share. After printing that low, the stock has rebounded smartly to its current price of around $7.15 a share. That rebound has taken INFN back above its 50-day moving average of $6.73 and very close to its 200-day moving average of $7.16 a share. Now this stock is starting to flirt with some key breakout levels.
Market players should keep an eye on INFN for a sustained high-volume move and close above $7.16 (its 200-day) and $7.19 a share. Look for volume that's tracking in close to or above its three-month average action of 1,009,360 shares. At last check, volume has hit 370,000 shares today, which is light, but the stock has touched $7.26. Keep in mind that the volume during the last four trading sessions (all up days) has been very strong.One could get long INFN if the volume improves into the close and if the stock can at least close above $7.19 a share, or near its daily highs. If we get that action either today or soon, then watch for INFN to make a run at $7.75 a share, or potentially much higher. I would simply use a mental stop that's a few percentage points below its 200-day moving average of $7.16 if you get long. I would then add to any long positions if $7.75 gets taken out with high volume. This is one another stock with a high short interest since around 11% of the tradable float is currently sold short by the bears. Keep this name on your short-squeeze radar if the breakout gets triggered in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV