Romney: It's an Inauguration, not a Coronation
As his fellow harpies dial up the intensity and frequency of their attacks, there is a lot to be disregarded. Frankly, there is also a lot to be disregarded as Romney himself espouses his ever-evolving (wasn't I nice?) themes and philosophy. But here are some thoughts as to how one might navigate the avalanche of platitudes and brickbats of the current political campaign.
First, forget about the fact that he's a wealthy guy. None of the candidates is hurting for cash. And don't hate Mitt for spending a sum on a vacation that exceeds all of your retirement savings, but don't be impressed by it either. This is America, after all.
And, of course, there is no need to take seriously either the flip or the flop on that large number of issues where the Great Equivocator seems to have -- er -- equivocated. Consistency, foolish or otherwise, is not a characteristic that can be ascribed to any presidential candidate. And finally, the fact that Bain Capital sometimes looted companies and killed jobs is not remarkable. Nor is the fact that Bain Capital sometimes created jobs. This is capitalism, and all of the literally thousands of enterprises that call themselves private equity or hedge funds did exactly the same thing -- perhaps on occasion with less voraciousness and enthusiasm -- but also, for the most part, less successfully. What is notable about Mr. Romney's association with Bain is what you can perhaps glean about his worldview. More on that later.But here's what we do know. Irrespective of his attempts to morph from moderate former governor of Massachusetts into ardent right-wing GOP candidate of 2012, a number of Mr. Romney's positions are pretty anti-consumer. 1. He hates the very idea of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and we can be certain he would do his best to kill or, at the very least, emasculate it. He has, in fact, committed to "repeal
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV