Ingersoll-Rand (IR) is in the same boat. Like Watsco, the firm is in the air conditioning business; not to mention the security system business and the golf cart business. That motley crew of industrial products gives Ingersoll-Rand a sales stream that's highly dependent on the state of the economy -- tight capital means harder sales for the firm's big-ticket items.
While the company's diversification is enviable, the effect on its income statement is probably negligible. After all, its products are still all industrial offerings.That said, brand recognition is a key part of Ingersoll-Rand's strategy. With names such as Trane, Club Car, and Schlage, the firm's products have good reputations and tend to be league leaders in their respective industries -- a factor that somewhat offsets the firm's dependence on demand for industrial goods. The company's 33% dividend hike during the last week of December should help placate investors in the meantime. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV