Ingersoll-Rand (IR) is in the same boat. Like Watsco, the firm is in the air conditioning business; not to mention the security system business and the golf cart business. That motley crew of industrial products gives Ingersoll-Rand a sales stream that's highly dependent on the state of the economy -- tight capital means harder sales for the firm's big-ticket items.
While the company's diversification is enviable, the effect on its income statement is probably negligible. After all, its products are still all industrial offerings.That said, brand recognition is a key part of Ingersoll-Rand's strategy. With names such as Trane, Club Car, and Schlage, the firm's products have good reputations and tend to be league leaders in their respective industries -- a factor that somewhat offsets the firm's dependence on demand for industrial goods. The company's 33% dividend hike during the last week of December should help placate investors in the meantime. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV