BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- As we look back on the year that was 2011, two things quickly become apparent: It was a rough year for stock investors, but it was a pretty good year for dividend payouts.
Surprising though it may seem, those two factors aren't mutually exclusive. In 2011, the S&P 500 essentially closed the year flat; a very painful flat year when all of the volatility of the past 12 months is factored in. Dividend payers fared quite a bit better -- while dividend indices like the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats Index finished 2011 with much larger total returns, those raw numbers don't really tell the whole story. Instead, it makes sense to look at dividend increasers.
All told, 101 companies increased their dividends in 2011 according to data collected by S&P Indices. Those 101 firms ratcheted their payouts higher by $50.2 billion -- nearly twice the increase in dividend payouts that companies delivered in 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV