The housing market, of course, is seasonal in nature due to weather patterns. Rascoff, however, noted that 60% of the company's revenue, its marketplace revenue, is not seasonal, and has enjoyed a 200% year-over-year growth rate. The other 38%-40% of revenues is display advertising, and that is seasonal, Rascoff noted.
Rascoff believes we are near the end of the housing crisis, but home prices still have more to drop. He believes home prices will decline another 2%-4% in 2012, and then stabilize in late 2012 and early 2013. "We're through the worst, but we're not at the other end yet," Rascoff said.
Despite having mixed results with various programs and initiatives put forth from Washington, Rascoff believes the federal government, through Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Housing Administration should help facilitate more bulk sales of foreclosed properties that are now bank owned to investors or sale leaseback programs. Bulk sales of these properties, known as REOs (Real Estate Owned), would help existing homeowners who are facing foreclosure, as they can be converted into renters. Rascoff said Zillow has been working with the federal government to help encourage taking these actions.
Interested in more on Zillow? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV