Most provocative quote from the conference: Merck's (MRK) worldwide head of licensing and acquisitions Roger Pomerantz telling Bloomberg, "Our goal is to be a leader in hepatitis C, and we will do what it takes to get there."
Does that include making a hostile bid for Inhibitex (INHX)? Hmmm….
On a related note, Merck's research chief doesn't believe the race to develop an all-oral Hep C regimen is winner-take-all. Speaking during Merck's breakout session, Kim said, "It's not clear how many patients the healthcare system can take at one time. It's also not clear how much the payors are going to open up the doors at one time. So the notion that you have a whole bunch of patients just rushing in
Two drugs I heard about for the first time this week that I want to dig into further: Clovis Oncology's (CLVS) CO-101 (with its companion diagnostic) for pancreatic cancer and Nektar Therapeutics' (NKTR) NKTR181, a novel painkiller designed to cross the blood-brain barrier more slowly and therefore reduce euphoria that can lead to abuse.Question: Do investors trust Ariad Pharmaceuticals' (ARIA) CEO Harvey Berger to commercialize the leukemia drug ponatinib on his own? Celgene (CELG): Rocking. Strong 2012 guidance, a management team exuded confidence and a calendar filled with big-time regulatory and clinical catalysts. Déjà vu: Sam Waksal back in front of a podium at the J.P. Morgan conference, this time pitching his new private company Kadmon Pharmaceuticals (which, by the way, is also involved in the hepatitis C drug game.) The last time Waksal spoke publicly at this conference wasn't fun -- for him. Burrito porn. If you must know, Taqueria Cancun at Mission and 19th St. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV