MetLife (MET) said that it will cut more than 800 workers in Irving, Texas, as it exits from the home mortgage origination business. The layoffs will take place at two locations, beginning March 30 and ending May 31, according to a letter MetLife sent to Texas Workforce Commission and Irving mayor Beth Van Duyne.
When the company first announced that it will be shutting its home mortgage-origination operation year in the year, it said it would cut a total of 4,300 workers in the unit.
The largest U.S. life insurer said in October that it is putting its mortgage unit up for sale, following plans to sell it deposit-gathering operations to reduce federal oversight. In December, the firm agreed to sell $6.5 billion worth of bank deposits to General Electric (GE).MetLife's mortgage business could be hard to sell because of potential regulation complications. Another option the firm said it would pursue is winding down the business, which it estimates would cost as much as $110 million. For now, the company plans to continuing servicing its current mortgage customers but will no longer accept new loan applications for forward mortgages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV