Some 4,000 workers are getting cut at Nokia (NOK) as the company looks to bring more of its manufacturing business to Asia.
On Feb. 8, the company said it will cease production of handsets in Hungary, Mexico and Finland and ramp up production at factories in Beijing, Masan and South Korea. The company has announced more than 14,000 job cuts after pairing with Microsoft to compete against Apple in smartphone market share.
Some 2,300 workers will be laid off in Komaram, Hungary, 700 in Reynosa, Mexico and 1,000 in Salo, Finland, where Nokia runs its oldest factory.China already makes up about a third of Nokia's output. The company is looking to expand operations in Asia, including by building a plant in Vietnam and in Dongguan, China. Apple assembles its smartphones in China.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV