Pepsico (PEP) said it's laying off 8,700 workers around the world as it undergoes a "transitional year." While the company ratchets back on costs in employees, it's also pushing money into advertising its soft drinks in North America.
The company, like other food and beverage makers, is facing higher material costs. Even its competitor, Coca-Cola, is undergoing cost cutting.
Pepsico's CEO, Indra Nooyi, said in a media briefing in early February that the layoffs would amount to 3% of its total workforce in more than 30 countries. The company is pouring $500 million to $600 million in ads and marketing this year along. It also plans to invest $100 million in store displays, coolers and racks, and will increase dividends and share buybacks.The restructuring is expected to save the company $1.5 billion by 2014, adding to the $1.5 billion in saving costs already announced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV