Updated with the latest layoff announcements since early February.
Companies continue to try to stay lean after drastic cost cutting measures during the recession. And, hiring is far from normal rates given companies' reluctance amid an uncertain global economic outlook.
Job growth in 2012 faces two big problems -- employers complain that they can't find the right people to fill vacancies and many job seekers are unable or unwilling to relocate to places where new jobs are created."Information technology, specialty manufacturing, nursing, and commercial construction are areas that are growing, but all of them require specialized skills," say consultants at Challenger, Gray & Christmas. "Even areas like long-haul trucking, which is in desperate need of drivers, requires a certain level of training that many job seekers are unwilling to pursue." There are signs of improvement. Automatic Data Processing said Wednesday 216,000 private-sector jobs were added in February. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters forecast ADP to report that companies added 200,000 jobs during the month, after an addition of 170,000 in January. Still, the layoffs continue to grow. TheStreet is tracking job cuts over the year. Click through to see what companies have announced layoffs so far in 2012...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV