Twitter/Google + Battle Heats Up
By Julia Boorstin, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -- Twitter is taking issue with the way Google favors Google+ over Twitter as it personalizes results for its new "Search plus your world" results.
The two companies are shooting statements back and forth, establishing a battleground over instant search and potential anti-trust issues that is sure to become an even bigger issue in coming weeks. Google (GOOG) is trying to make gains gains for its new social service, Google+, which aims to compete with both Facebook and Twitter.
Twitter's general counsel, Alex Macgillivray, just tweeted an example of how Google's new search system impacts results when users are searching for @usernames. Check out the example Macgillivray shows in a screenshot, what happens when a user searches for @wwe. He's trying to make the point that though the "@" symbol makes it clear that a user is looking for a Twitter profile, Google chooses to suppress the Twitter result, instead promoting Google+ options.
More from CNBC
Mitt Romney's New Hampshire Win
Can the Gov't Guarantee Everyone a Job?
CES: YouTube and the Upcoming Revolution
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV