Interested in more on First Niagara Financial Group? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Thursday's loser among large-cap U.S. banks was Regions Financial (RF), with shares declining over 2% to close at $4.69.
The Birmingham, Ala., lender announced late Wednesday that it had agreed to sell Morgan Keegan to Raymond James Financial (RJF) for $930 million. Regions had been peddling its mortgage subsidiary since June, initially seeking a price of about $1 billion. Before the sale is completed, Raymond James will upstream a $250 million dividend to Regions.
Regions also announced it would take a fourth-quarter goodwill impairment charge ranging between $575 million and $745 million, and said it expected to report a fourth-quarter net loss to common shareholders "in a range of $432 million to $633 million or $(0.34) per common share to $(0.50) per common share," but that "net income from Continuing Operations without the goodwill impairment charge (non-GAAP) is expected to be in a range of $88 million to $119 million or $0.07 to $0.09 per common share."Regions owes $3.5 billion in federal bailout funds received through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP. FBR analyst Scott Valentin on Thursday reiterated his "Market Perform" rating for Regions, and said that "while the $1.18 billion valuation is slightly above our expectations, the net benefit to capital ratios was less than expected," and that through the Morgan Keegan sale, Regions Financial's "Pro forma 3Q11 Tier-1 common equity ratio increases 9 bps, to 8.25%, and Tier-1 capital risked-based ratio increases 13 bps, to 12.97%." Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor said that the sale of Morgan Keegan "continues to build the credibility of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV