6 Worst Housing Markets Coming in 2012
BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- The U.S. housing market doesn't seem poised to have much of a happy new year in 2012 -- but some markets seem likely to do a lot worse than others.
|A handful of particularly hard-hit housing markets, led by Las Vegas, might double a projected drop 3.9% nationwide.|
While Colpitts expects home prices to drop 3.9% nationwide on average this year, he foresees declines of more than twice that size in a handful of particularly hard-hit markets.
Colpitts says these markets are still suffering from the housing boom's "overbuilding, mortgage fraud, Wall Street and congressional corruption
Projected 2012 decline: 7.5%
Home to the famous Bethesda Naval Hospital and other U.S. government institutions, Bethesda is one of the wealthiest suburbs of Washington, D.C. It also hosts Lockheed Martin (LMT) and several other large corporations. But Colpitts says Bethesda also had "one of the country's most overpriced housing markets
Projected 2012 decline: 7.6%
A lesser-developed Hawaiian island some 100 miles northwest of Honolulu, Kauai saw property prices soar during the housing boom -- but tank in the bust that followed. "The vacation home market has been slammed by the real estate crash, and no place other than Florida has more second homes and condos than Hawaii," Colpitts says. A popular playground for the rich, Kauai counts Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Matt Damon and other celebrities as either second-home owners or high-profile fans. Hollywood has also filmed parts of dozens of movies and TV shows there, from Jurassic Park to Gilligan's Island.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV