NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by throughout the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
iShares MSCI Poland Investable Market Index Fund (EPOL) 3.5%
A disappointing unemployment claims report is helping to put a damper on the U.S. marketplace. As major domestic indices struggle to find footing, investors are seeing pockets of strength in Europe. While EPOL is leading the way higher, positive action can also be seen from troubled EU members. The iShares MSCI Italy Index Fund (EWI) is faring particularly well; a three-day string of strength has helped its recover a respectable chunk of last week's losses.
Guggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) 3.3%TAN is securing a spot at the top of the winners list for a second day as the sun continues to shine on the solar energy industry. In the past four days, the fund has managed to break through its 50-day moving average and regain a good deal of the losses suffered during its steep November sell off. iPath Dow Jones UBS Copper Subindex Total Return ETN (JJC) 2.9% Promising inflation statistics in China are helping to power copper futures higher. This upward action is a boon for JJC. Thanks to this week's three-day rally, this ETN has managed to break above its December highs. Copper producers are benefiting as well. The Global X Copper Miners ETF (COPX) is up over 2% in afternoon trading.
LosersTeucrium Corn ETF (CORN) -5.4% Ample inventory forecasts are sending grain prices reeling. In response, futures-backed products like CORN and the iPath Dow Jones UBS Grains Subindex Total Return ETN (JJG) are taking a heavy shot across the bow. Analyst estimates aren't the only factor weighing on corn at this time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV