Stelmach's fourth-quarter estimate matches the consensus, but for 2012, the analyst estimates EPS of $2.65, which is ahead of the consensus estimate of $2.49.
While FBR was waiting for "further clarity on accretion" before revising its earnings estimates for Raymond James, Stelmach said the Morgan Keegan deal was "nicely accretive," at 3% for 2012, "excluding deal-related expenses." The analyst added that "using 2013 consensus, we get to RJF's modest 2%-3% accretion only by assuming zero cost savings. But, on an estimated $930 million expense base for Morgan Keegan, 5% to 10% in cost savings does not seem unreasonable."
Stelmach said that the "the operating leverage at Raymond James is underappreciated, and we expect RJF to outperform, absent any multiple expansion due to improved earnings, as the operating environment becomes more favorable, particularly in financial advisor production and investment banking activity.
Raymond James' shares traded for 14 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate, as of Wednesday's close at $34.18.Interested in more on Raymond James Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Shares of Stifel Financial (SF) of St. Louis were similarly valued at 14 times forward earnings, based on Wednesday's closing price of $32.93. Stifel is set to announce its fourth-quarter results on Feb. 13. Analysts expect the company to report fourth-quarter earnings of 43 cents a share. The consensus EPS estimate for 2012 is $2.39. Interested in more on Stifel Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV