Last up this week is another bank stock, BanColombia (CIB). This $12 billion firm is one of the largest financial institutions in South America -- and its foreign exposure means that it's one of the few that doesn't sport a massive correlation with the broad market right now.
BanColombia is currently locked in a downtrending channel, a sort of dynamic resistance and support range that's restricted shares' movements since the start of the summer. This bearish setup in CIB is providing a potential shorting opportunity for traders who are willing to bet that the trend will continue. For investors with excessive long-side exposure, this longer-term trade adds some strategy diversification.
In a downtrending channel, the optimal entry point comes when shares of CIB bounce off of the resistance level that acts like a price ceiling for shares. Then, it makes sense to put a price target down at the bottom of the channel. You can increase the probability of the trade by narrowing the support and resistance levels (and decreasing the sensitivity of your trade signals).If you do decide to take this trade, keep a close stop above that trend line resistance level. BanColombia is one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated diversified bank stocks, with a B- buy rating. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV