Apple Apple (AAPL) had a mixed year in 2011; while shares rallied more than 25% on the year, the firm lost its visionary co-founder, a man whose vision is largely linked to the company's commercial success. The jury's still out on whether Apple's innovation will remain as driven under new leadership, but recent price action suggests that at least share prices will be.
That's because Apple is currently testing resistance at the $325 range. $325 acted like a strong price ceiling the last two times the firm's stock approached it (in September and October), as eager sellers took gains and swarmed any bids for Apple stock that those lofty levels. Now, though, shares have an opportunity to push through that barrier this week and make new highs.
A breakout in Apple is significant because it wouldn't just be the penetration of a tough resistance level -- it's also a breakout to all-time highs, a scenario that adds a psychological edge to buyers. The fact that the firm's RSI downtend broke late last month provides some confirmation of upside bias. Still, I'd suggest waiting for the breakout to happen before taking a position at these prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV