BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Just a week or so into trading in 2012, the New Year has already brought bigger stock gains than all of 2011. The question now is whether stocks can continue their trajectory.
Europe's back in the headlines again, threatening to derail the S&P 500's auspicious 2.77% start, as the possibility of a recession across the pond weighs on traders. While it was only a matter of time until the eurozone got back on investors' minds, the surprisingly low volatility of this week is at least preventing a meltdown until more conclusive data comes forward.
In the meantime, correlations between the broad market and its constituent stocks are swinging higher once again. Unlike the last quarter, where those high correlations were a death knell for trading, bullish techincals in the S&P mean that rising tides could lift all ships in the first quarter of 2012. Traders should keep an eye on the S&P 500 for a breakout above the 1290s -- that would provide a good indication that buyers are in control of the market for a change.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV