SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Aviat Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVNW), a leading expert in wireless transmission solutions, today announced that it has been awarded LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED is USGBC's leading rating system for designing and constructing the world's greenest, most energy efficient and highest performing buildings.
In early 2010, Aviat Networks set out to design its new 128,541 square-foot corporate facility in Santa Clara, California, to be an ecologically friendly building in support of the company's commitment to reduce its carbon footprint in the workplace. "Achieving LEED Gold certification enabled the company to protect and preserve precious natural resources and it also made good economic sense," says John Brandt, Aviat Networks vice president for restructuring and real estate.
"Building operations are nearly 40 percent of the solution to the challenge of global climate change," says Rick Fedrizzi, president, CEO and founding chair, U.S. Green Building Council. "While climate change is a global problem, innovative companies such as Aviat Networks are addressing it through local solutions."
LEED Gold certification of Aviat Networks was based on a number of green design and construction techniques that positively affect the project itself as well as the broader community, including:Reduced water consumption
- Use of low-flow/no-flow restroom fixtures that decrease water use by 40 percent compared to standard fixtures
- Reduction of heat island effect with cool roofing that has the ability to reflect visible, infrared and ultraviolet light, reducing heat transfer to the building (i.e., high solar reflectance rating)
- Installation of advanced computerized heating and cooling system monitors, with variable speed fans
- Selection of Energy Star rated equipment for majority of office equipment and appliances
- Provision of all the building's power from "green" energy sources (i.e., wind power)
- Diversion of more than 95 percent of construction waste from landfills through recycling or salvage activities
- Application of paints and coatings with low emission rates of volatile organic compounds and other air pollutants
- Installation of durable bamboo flooring—a fast-growing, renewable resource—instead of conventional flooring from non-renewable sources
- Utilization of carpeting made from recycled content
- Carpentry with composite wood products in doors and millwork—saving trees in the process
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV