Lincoln MKZ Concept
The luxury segment is not huge, but it is a place where vehicles produce far higher profit than compacts, so it is understandable Ford would like to have a bigger presence.
The Lincoln MKZ concept car, unveiled at the auto show, "shows a strong hint of where Lincoln is going," Ford's Booth said.
"We can compete with the premium brands," said Booth, noting that Lincoln will "not be exactly like BMW or Lexus -- we think we can find a set of brand characteristics that resonate with our customer base." The new MKZ will go on sale in the fall.Among the recognizable brand design elements ensuring recognition as a Lincoln is the split-wing grill, resembling the two wings of a bird, that was introduced on the 1938 Lincoln-Zephyr. The concept has a long, sweeping roofline that enables a flowing aerodynamic appearance and a glass roof that creates an airy, open interior. The luxury segment accounts for 11% to 13% of overall U.S. sales. While Cadillac sold 152,389 units in 2011, Lincoln sold just 85,643. Brauer of TotalCarScore said the MKZ concept has "a presence" that should serve it well as it seeks to make its mark. "A premium luxury car needs to be special," Brauer said. "You can't get started in the luxury sector if you don't have that nailed down, and Lincoln hasn't done that in a long time. But this car has that sense." -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV