DETROIT MainStreet) -- The 2012 Detroit Auto Show sent a clear message: Detroit is back.
Auto sales continue to trend upward after two years of gains. The Detroit Three are all profitable and all three gained market share in 2011 -- partially because of one-time woes that befell their principal competitors.
The mood of this year's show was positive, said Ford (F) CFO Louis Booth in an interview. "You can see two things so far," Booth said on the second day of the auto show press preview. "One is lots of great products launched by all manufacturers. The other is a continued strong emphasis on fuel economy, which is increasingly important to customers."Commenting on the new Ford Fusion, Karl Brauer, editor of the TotalCarScore a car comparison site, noted that most new cars today are well-made and reliable. "Design is one of the most important things right now," Brauer said. "It's all that's left, because nearly every new car is dependable, comfortable and safe." Here is our list of the top six cars from major manufacturers that were unveiled at the show.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV